Slideshow

About Me

My photo
An 8th grade English teacher for the past 16 years, my interest in photography began in my early teens. An avid Fuji Velvia shooter for years, I finally purchased my first digital camera, a Canon 20D, in January of 2005. I started my photography business on the side in 2004, and it has grown into a second career. I love how my teaching profession and photography business work so seamlessly together. Today, I find myself shooting in excess of 100,000 images a year, including wedding imagery, senior and family portrait work, sports team and action shots, and my true passion, landscape and wildife. I'm actually doing what I always dreamed and I feel totally blessed.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Tetons in the Fall

The title of this post may be deceiving in that I came over to the Tetons for really one purpose.  Because I did not draw a good elk tag for the first time in nearly 20 years, I decided to visit the Tetons in hopes of catching the elk rut in full glory.  Therefore, I haven't spent much time shooting the landscape, hoping more for intimate encounters with my favorite animal on the planet, the majestic wapiti or elk.  With just one day remaining of my time here, I have captured much more through auditory means then through the lens.  Bugles can be heard everywhere, from the deepest willows to the dry sagebrush flats.  The bulls are definitely at work resounding their challenges.  I just haven't had so much luck catching them.  I've chased them through deep timber, waded through willows so thick I knew I was within 30 yards and still couldn't see what I was after, and I've seen them in the deepest dusk,  in light so dim to be far beyond the capabilities of my camera's sensor to record.  Despite the frustration with not finding what I'm really here for, here are a few images so far of what I've encountered.  I'll post many more once I'm home, but for now, this is what I can post sitting in the lobby of the Jackson Lake Lodge looking out the window at Mt. Moran soaring into the smoky blue.










1 comment:

  1. Always a treat to see your work, I mean play! :)
    Love the bugling bull, but am more accustomed to the "busted" stare.

    ReplyDelete